Fifties Style Bridesmaids Dress – Private Commission
In addition to her Medieval style wedding dress, Cath Baker commissioned the dress for her bridesmaid, her sister Jennie. Cath gave her a free rein to choose what dress she would like and so Jennie chose a fifties dress she knew would suit her style.
To ensure to two very different style dresses complimented each other Jennie chose a purple duchess satin which toned beautifully with the iridescent chiffon used in Cath’s overdress. She did not want the dress to be too decorative or fussy so we included no extras but a large bow at the top of a keyhole back. Concerned about the tattoo she had on her upper arm I added small cap sleeves to hide it from view.
Worn over a modest petticoat with a back zip fastening, it was a simple dress but had great impact as she walked down the aisle before her sister.
More in the portfolio...
- Bankfield Museum, Kirklees
- Kenilworth Castle, English Heritage
- Porchester Castle, English Heritage
- The Burrell Collection, Glasgow
- Marble Hill House, English Heritage
- The Rural Life Museum, Normanby Hall Country Park
- St Mary’s Guildhall, Coventry
- Yarmouth Castle, English Heritage