Marco Polo – Royal Armouries
This costume was created for a special events season at the museum. The design is based on an artists sketch of the traveller and also known examples of Chinese clothing from the period.
Red patterned faux silk, lined in gold faux silk was chosen to give it a rich appearance. The fastenings were hand created individually in silky gold cord using a traditional Chinese knot technique.
Plain, simple white linen drawstring trousers and long shirt were created to be worn under the coat.
More in the portfolio...
- Bankfield Museum, Kirklees
- Kenilworth Castle, English Heritage
- Porchester Castle, English Heritage
- The Burrell Collection, Glasgow
- Marble Hill House, English Heritage
- The Rural Life Museum, Normanby Hall Country Park
- St Mary’s Guildhall, Coventry
- Yarmouth Castle, English Heritage