Boatwoman – London Canal Museum
This is one of the most interesting commissions I have been lucky to have worked on. Having made sunbonnets before I was familiar with the basic design but boatwomen’s bonnets featured distinctive ruffles and long lappets at the back, which was a new style for me. The museum had a great deal of research on these bonnets including details of how the characteristic ruffles are created. To keep the structure off the ruffles they were corded at the base and double layers. Two bonnets were made in sprigged cotton with corded brim, long chin ties and lappels and finished off with matching bows.
More in the portfolio...
- Bankfield Museum, Kirklees
- Kenilworth Castle, English Heritage
- Porchester Castle, English Heritage
- The Burrell Collection, Glasgow
- Marble Hill House, English Heritage
- The Rural Life Museum, Normanby Hall Country Park
- St Mary’s Guildhall, Coventry
- Yarmouth Castle, English Heritage