Medieval Wedding Dress – Private Commission
Cath Baker approached me to design and make her medieval style wedding dress. Her requirements were simple, it had to be blue and she needed to be able to dance at a ceilidh with her new husband. This is the result……
It was a summer wedding so Cath asked for the dress to be quite cool, should it be a nice day, but maintain the key features she liked of the medieval style, such as the long sleeves. I created for her a simple sleeveless full length dress in a royal blue satin, with a iridescent purple overdress, fastening under the bust and falling into a modest train. This meant the dress was cool for the summer and she was able to remove the overdress for the dancing in the evening.
To add decoration and individuality to the ensemble, I had beaded a belt and cuffs with the white rose of Yorkshire for Cath and the thistle of Scotland for her husband. I added the date and their initials so they could keep them as a momento of their special day.
Photographs courtesy of Lauren McGlyn Photography
More in the portfolio...
- Bankfield Museum, Kirklees
- Kenilworth Castle, English Heritage
- Porchester Castle, English Heritage
- The Burrell Collection, Glasgow
- Marble Hill House, English Heritage
- The Rural Life Museum, Normanby Hall Country Park
- St Mary’s Guildhall, Coventry
- Yarmouth Castle, English Heritage